Ashburton Park is a municipal park created on the site of an C18th park; the original mansion was built in 1788 but was largely demolished in 1927. Croydon Corporation purchased the site in 1924 and it was first used as a putting green but this was abandoned after a decline in use and it was subsequently re-opened as a public park.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Ashburton Park is a municipal park created on the site of an C18th park; the original mansion was built in 1788 and underwent several name changes over the years. From 1855 the estate was known as Byculla Park after a Bombay suburb and then between 1869-1878 the house was called Stroud Green House after nearby Stroud Green Common. At one time the owner was Henry Dorling, a horse racing celebrity; King James I is said to have established public horse racing in Croydon early in his reign and there was a race-course nearby on the area now covered by Ashburton Playing Fields and Stroud Green housing estate. In 1878 it was purchased by Revd Father Tooth, founder of the 'Community of the Paraclete', who erected the chapel buildings and opened Woodside Convent Orphanage in 1882 for sons of gentlemen under the care of six sisters of his Community. The remains of the convent chapel was later used as Ashburton public library but it is now vacant, adjacent to which is a mid C19th lodge formerly of Stroud Green House.
Croydon Corporation purchased the site in 1924 and the old house was largely demolished in 1927. The site was first used as a putting green but this was abandoned after a decline in use. The park was used for the annual Croydon Summer Show, which in its heyday ran over 2 days with events up until midnight, animal shows as well as flower, fruit and vegetable shows, illuminations and dancing. The park today is enclosed within late C20th iron railings with good wrought iron gates at the east corner of the park.
Cherry, B and Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England London 2: South (1983); Winterman, M A, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988) p9/10; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008.