Bradmore Green is the remnant of the village green and pond of the old village of Coulsdon, once part of the manorial lands held by the Abbey of Chertsey until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the C16th. The manorial rights passed to the King and then to various famous families until 1783. The Byron family then held the land until 1921, when it passed to Purley and Coulsdon UDC. It was from this period that the area began to change dramatically, with the arrival of the the railway at the bottom of Marlpit Lane accelerating development.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
From Saxon times until the beginning of the C20th the village of Coulsdon was in the centre of the District of Coulsdon, previously called Cuthraedesdune (Cuthred’s Down). In 675 Frithwald, the Saxon petty king of Surrey, gave the land of Cuthraedesdune to Chertsey Abbey. In the Domesday Book of 1086, 'Colesdone' is described with its parish church of St John the Evangelist (q.v.). The Green was part of the lands of the Manor of Coulsdon acquired by the Abbey who held it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1537. The manorial rights first passed to the King and then to various famous families until 1783 when it was owned by the Byrons, who held it for three generations until 1921. In 1912 the Victoria County History of Surrey wrote ‘The village of Coulsdon consists of little more than a group of old cottages, the National School, and farm buildings clustered around a green’. In 1921 the land with all the manorial rights passed to the Purley and Coulsdon Urban District Council. It was from this period that the nature of the area was changing dramatically, with the arrival of the the railway at the bottom of Marlpit Lane accelerating the rapid development of Coulsdon. Bradmore Green was designated a Conservation Area in 1968.
Winterman, M A, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988) p18; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008