|Christ Church West Croydon||Croydon|
The original Christ Church was a flint-faced building of 1851-2, paid for by Archbishop Sumner. Due to structural problems it was closed in 1978 and, following a petition, approval to demolish the building was given in 1982. However, in 1983 the old church was listed and total demolition therefore not granted. The building was badly damaged by fire in 1985 and a new church retaining the undamaged portion at the western end was opened by the Bishop of Southwark in June 1991. There church has a garden with grass and flower border behind a flint wall to the road, with a few headstones in the shrubbery at the eastern boundary.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.cccroydon.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The original church here was a flint-faced building designed by Teulon and built in 1851-2, paid for by Archbishop Sumner. Due to structural problems it was later closed in 1978 and following a petition, approval to demolish the building was given in 1982. However, in 1983 the old church was listed and total demolition therefore not granted although designs for the new church had been agreed by the end of 1982. In December 1985 the south transept caught fire and the building was badly damaged apart from the three bays at the west end and the chancel. Designs were then prepared by Maurice Taylor and the K C White Partnership for a new building that retained the undamaged portion at the western end. The new church was completed in April 1991 and was opened by the Bishop of Southwark in June 1991; presumably this is the date of the current landscaping.
B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983 reprint 1999 p207; Diocese of Southwark website