|Coulsdon Memorial Ground||Croydon|
Coulsdon Memorial Ground was opened in 1921 as a public recreation ground, dedicated to Coulsdon men who fell in WWI. The war memorial is situated at the top of the site and takes the form of a portico with an inscription on the rear wall. A plaque was later added to commemorate those who died in WWII. The land had originally been part of Edmund Byron’s Coulsdon Estate and was purchased by Coulsdon and Purley UDC in 1920, partly by public subscription. By 1940 recreational facilities included tennis courts, bowling green, putting green and toilets.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Coulsdon Memorial Ground was opened in 1921, dedicated to the memory of the men who fell in WWI. The site was purchased in 1920 by Coulsdon and Purley Urban District Council and partly paid for by public subscription from Messrs Hall and Co Ltd. The putting green was purchased several years later. All the land was originally part of Edmund Byron’s Coulsdon Estate. The park is situated on a fairly steep slope and is laid out for a number of sports. At the top of the hill is a war memorial that takes the form of a portico with a rear wall bearing the inscription ‘To the memory of the men of Coulsdon who fell in the Great War 1914-1919’; a bronze plaque was added bearing the words 'and in the memory of those who fell in the World War 1939-1945’.
M A Winterman, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988) p26; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008