|Duppas Hill Recreation Ground||Croydon|
Duppas Hill was the first public recreation ground in Croydon, but the site had a very long history of use for sporting events. Tournaments were held here until 1286, when Lord William de Warenne was treacherously killed. Croydon Board of Health purchased the land from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1865. There was evidently a pavilion here by 1890 and the park had paths and perimeter trees. By 1932 a bandstand, toilets and drinking fountain had been added although now only the Victorian drinking fountain survives.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Duppas Hill was the first recreation ground in Croydon; the site was purchased from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners by the Croydon Board of Health in 1865. There is a long history of use of the site for sporting events, with tournaments held here until 1286, when Lord William de Warenne was treacherously killed. Duppas Hill is mainly used as sports fields but has been used for many of Croydon’s festivals and events over the years, including the annual firework displays presented by Sir Frederick Edridge, and bonfires to celebrate national as well as local events. In 1910 Lord Roberts presented colours to the 4th Queens Volunteer Battalion on Duppas Hill. By 1932 a bandstand, pavilion and drinking fountain had been added although now only the Victorian drinking fountain survives.
MA Winterman, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988) pp32/3; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008