The site for Norbury Park was purchased by Croydon Corporation in 1935 on land formerly North Surrey Golf Course, which dated back to 1920. Prior to this the land had been fields, once owned by Pembroke College. In the park is a relatively rare circular cattle trough, which was relocated here after the closure of the Croydon Cattle Market and was the gift of H Pratter Esq. MD in 1882. The market had operated from 1844, originally in the yard of the Greyhound Hotel, and then from 1848-1935 on a substantial site in Selsdon Road.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The site was purchased by Croydon Corporation from a local builder in 1935 on land formerly used for North Surrey Golf Course, which dated back to 1920. The land had been fields as shown on the Thomas Bainbridge map of 1800, which indicates the fields in the ownership of Pembroke College; the college's lease to the golf course expired on 25 December 1934. In 1955 it was decided to erect a school here and Norbury Manor Girls High School opened in 1958, now Norbury Park Business & Enterprise College of Girls. The 11.5 acres at the east end of the park had been used for temporary allotments, shown on the OS of 1954. Norbury Brook, a tributary of the Wandle, runs beside the park now fenced off and hidden but in the 1950s it still ran over ground. The park was not officially named Norbury Park until 1956 when the pavilion was constructed at a cost of £5,152. In 1969/70 the children's playground was added. In the park is a circular cattle trough, which represents the last remnant of Croydon Cattle Market. The market had operated from 1844, originally in the yard of the Greyhound Hotel, and then from 1848-1935 on a substantial site in Selsdon Road; when the market closed flats were built on its site. Circular cattle troughs are quite a rarity and this one was the gift of H Pratter Esq. MD in 1882 and was relocated to Norbury Park after the closure of the market. The street name, 'Drovers Road', also recalls the market.
Mrs MA Winterman, 'Croydon's parks: an illustrated history' (LB Croydon, 1988); Croydon Advertiser, 5 June 1981; Croydon Council Minutes 1933, 1955, 1956.
LPGT Volunteer Research by Kristina Taylor, 2006