In 1907 Purley Beeches, an area of mature Beech woodland, was purchased partly by public subscription and partly by a rate levied on the rate payers of the Parish, saving the woodland from development. Prior to this a number of Sanderstead residents had paid a subscription to cover the rent and maintenance of the Beeches. In 1953, Coulsdon and Purley UDC was granted a coat of arms, which had two trees, an oak for the Purley Oaks and a beech for Purley Beeches.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
On 23 January 1907 Purley Parish Council held an important meeting in Sanderstead village school to discuss the purchase of Purley Beeches, as the option to purchase the site was due to expire in February of that year. Prior to this a number of Sanderstead residents had paid a subscription to cover the rent and maintenance of the Beeches, an area of mature beech woodland. The owner, a Mr E Arkwright, was asking the sum of £5400, which was around half the land's value for building purposes. Only £1474 had been raised and it was proposed that a rate of 2d in the £ should be levied on ratepayers. Although the Parish Council carried the resolution by 50 to 30 votes, a poll of the whole parish was demanded. This was held on 2 February 1907 and the majority of ratepayers voted in favour of the purchase. In 1953, Coulsdon and Purley UDC was granted a coat of arms, which had two trees, an oak for the Purley Oaks and a beech for Purley Beeches. Many of the trees were badly damaged or uprooted in the storm of 1987. The Beeches is adjacent to Wettern Tree Garden (q.v.).
Winterman, M A, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988) p72