|Queen's Road Cemetery||Croydon|
Following the establishment of Croydon Burial Board in 1859, Queen's Road Cemetery was the first cemetery in Croydon. It was founded in 1861 and much remains of the original layout, which had a central walk heavily planted with trees, including those planted amongst the graves. Symmetrical curving paths lead off the central path. Buildings include a pair of linked chapels linked, a lodge, stone gate piers and fine railings on Queen’s Road. The older part of the cemetery east of the chapels contains the more interesting monuments, with memorials to important local people.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Following the establishment of Croydon Burial Board in 1859, Queen's Road Cemetery was the first cemetery in Croydon, founded in 1861. Mitcham Road Cemetery (q.v.) was later opened in 1897 to cater for the overspill from Queen's Road. Much remains of the original layout shown on the 1st edition OS of 1863, which has a central walk heavily planted with cedars, holly and yew, and other notable trees include limes, yews, horse chestnuts and cedars planted amongst the graves. Symmetrical curving paths lead off the central path, again largely surviving from the original layout, some are now asphalted and others are traceable in the grass. The cemetery buildings included a pair of linked chapels by E C Robins whose designs were selected following a competition; Robins was responsible for building Coombe Cliff House for John Horniman, whose gardens now form part of Park Hill Recreation Ground (q.v.). Also remaining are the cemetery lodge, now privately owned, and the stone gate piers and fine railings on Queen’s Road.
The older part of the cemetery east of the chapels contains the more interesting monuments. Portions of the cemetery were set aside for different denominations. Notable people buried here include members of the Austin family, including Isabella Saward (died at 105 in 1950), whose memorial is in a rare cast iron 'gothic style' design and is very ornate and surrounded by cast iron railings. Buried in Grave No. 4, Section C3 is local dentist Samuel Lee Rymer (1832-1909), who was instrumental in improving the state of the dental profession, a member of Croydon Board of Health and elected Alderman of the new Croydon Borough Council in June 1883 and later Mayor (1893/4). Other monuments include four unusual slate headstones of the Couch family. Also buried here are the author, artist and historian John Anderson (d.1907); Sir Reuben Barrow (d.1917), Liberal MP for Bermondsey; Edmund Duff (d.1928), Vera Sydney and Violet Sydney (both d. 1929) who all died of arsenic poisoning in the unsolved case known as the Croydon Poisoning Mystery; Admiral Sir Stephen Lushington (1803-1877), Crimean war veteran and governor of Greenwich Hospital. There is also a memorial shaped like Cleopatra’s needle to Joshua Allder, one of Croydon’s best known businessmen and founder of Allders in 1862, a department store in Croydon. There are a number of information boards within the cemetery on those buried there and the location of the graves.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008