Ramsey Court was formerly the Elias Davy Almshouses, originally founded in 1447 by Elias Davy, member of the Mercers' Company, for 7 poor men and women. The almshouses were rebuilt in the mid C18th and enlarged in 1875 when the number of residents was increased to 12. They are arranged as two parallel rows of red brick buildings, the north built in 1875, the south in 1887, which face each other across the garden. They ceased to be almshouses in the 1970s when residents moved to new almshouses in Duppas Hill.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Six of the pensioners were to receive 10d a week and the seventh, the tutor, 1s. The almshouses were endowed with £18 per annum from the rents of four neighbouring cottages for repairs. The Vicar and churchwardens of nearby Croydon Parish Church of St John the Baptist (q.v.) and 'four of the principal inhabitants of Croydon' were appointed governors. Davy required that the clothes of the residents be 'darke and browne of colour, and not staring, neither blazing, and of easy price cloth, according to their degree', they were to attend daily services in the parish church and pray for the King and the founder.
Sue Turnbull, 'The Land called 'Delles', the History of the Elis David and Little Almshouses of Croydon', (published by the author) 2005; Edward Walford 'Village London, The Story of Greater London Part 3: South East and South', first published 1883/4 and reprinted in 1983 by The Alderman Press.