Sanderstead Pond is a small remnant of the old village green and is almost certainly fed by rain water rather than a spring, the water level fluctuating throughout the year. Sanderstead village was once surrounded by extensive woodland and downs. There is evidence that the area had seen the presence of man as long ago as the Mesolithic Period, nearly 12000 years ago. Early mention of 'Sonderstede' occurs in 871AD and in the Domesday Survey the manor was held by the Abbey of St Peter at Westminster. In 1799 the local Squire enclosed the village green into his parkland and its layout has little changed since the mid C19th.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Sanderstead village with its parish church of All Saints (q.v.) is on the edge of chalk hills, 600 ft above sea level and was once surrounded by extensive woodland and downs. Early mention of 'Sonderstede' is found in a will of Duke Alfred of 871AD, and in the Domesday Survey the manor was held by the Abbey of St Peter at Westminster, named 'Sanstede', the name probably meaning 'sandy place'. In 1799 the local Squire enclosed the village green into his parkland. In 1958-60 Sanderstead Archaeological Group found traces of a C17th lodge near the pond, pottery fragments and Saxon relics, as well as evidence that the area had seen the presence of man as long ago as the Mesolithic Period, nearly 12000 years ago. Sanderstead Pond today is a small remnant of the old village green set in a grassed area, behind which is an area of grass known locally as The Gruffy. The pond is almost certainly fed by rain water rather than a spring, and the water level is subject to fluctuations throughout the year. The pond is now cleaned on a regular basis when the water level is low. One side of the Green has been altered for the roundabout junction of Limpsfield Road and Addington Road, otherwise it is little changed in layout from 1840s.
Winterman, M A, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988) p84; Edward Walford, Village London; LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008