|Shirley Heath, including Spring Park Wood||Croydon|
Shirley Heath was part of a much larger area of woodland, Spring Park Wood, which was significantly lost to housing development in the early C20th and for a golf course in 1922. The area west of the Bridle Way that runs through the site became known as Kennel Wood because it was where the Old Surrey Foxhounds were kept and trained. The golf course was purchased in 1934 by the local council; pre-fabs and then the Shrublands Estate were built on the northern part, with the southern part provided as public open space. The only reminder of Spring Park Wood survives in a small area of woodland surrounded by housing north of Links View Road.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.croydon.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The area now known as Shirley Heath was part of a much larger area of woodland, Spring Park Wood, which was significantly lost to housing development in the early C20th and for a golf course in 1922. The golf course was laid out between Links View Road to the north and Shirley Church Road in the south and took in Kennel Wood to the west of Bridle Way, which runs north / south through the site. The area to the east of Bridle Way and south of Shrublands Estate was referred to as 'The Heath' in the C14th and later as Jacksons Common. The area to the west became known as Kennel Wood because it was here that the owner of Shirley Park, Colonel Maberley, kept and trained the Old Surrey Foxhounds.
The golf course was purchased in 1934 by the local council, and on the northern part of the course built pre-fabs, which remained in place until the Shrublands Estate was built in 1961-3. A pub at the junction of Bridle Road and Broom Road is on the former site of a gamekeeper's house and pens within the woods. The southern part of the golf course was provided as public open space, with some of the former fairways between the trees now used for sports pitches. The site consists of woodland and open heath. A small area of the former Spring Park Wood is hidden between houses
Winterman, M A, Croydon's parks: an illustrated history (LB Croydon, 1988)