|Belvue Park and Northolt Manor||Ealing|
In 1936 land near St Mary's Church in Northolt was acquired by the MCC and the local council for public open space, which became Belvue Park. Situated adjacent to the parish church are notable earthworks of the moated medieval manor house, excavated in the 1950s and '60s that provided evidence of Saxon occupation. Fragments of Iron Age pottery, as well as Roman roof tiles have also been found at the highest point of the park.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk/services/environment/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Belvue Park slopes towards Rowdell Road, an informal recreation space, with good views of the surrounding area. Northolt was a rural parish from the C13th and originally consisted of three hamlets, Northolt Village, West End and Wood End, of which only Northolt recognisably survives; Western Avenue was built across the parish in the 1930s. It used to be known as Northall, complementing neighbouring Southall, and was agricultural until the Paddington Canal was built in 1801, although speculative building on the farmland did not begin until the 1920s. The canal stimulated excavation of brick-earth, the last brick works closing in 1939.
Situated adjacent to the parish church are notable earthworks of the moated medieval manor house of Northolt, excavated in the 1950s and '60s. This provided evidence of Saxon occupation and pagan burial, with three graves excavated containing beads and other artefacts by the skeletons . The manor was given to Geoffrey de Mandeville after the Norman Conquest, remaining in that family until the C13th, apart from a brief period in 1217 when it was forfeit to Henry III. It is thought that the manor's timber buildings were replaced by a stone house in the late C13th when it was owned by the Botelers family. Richard II acquired the manor in the 1390s and endowed it to Westminster Abbey in 1399. The manor house appears to have been rebuilt twice in the C14th, within a new moat, but was demolished by Westminster Abbey. A brick manor house was built to the north of the moat in the C16th, later called Northolt Court,
In 1935 when house building was accelerating following the arrival of the railway and farmland was being built, part of the land owned by the parish and the manor house site were acquired by the local council for public open space. In 1963 the manor house site formed part of Belvue Park.
Belvue Park and Northolt Manor are part of the Northolt and Greenford Countryside Park, which was created by Ealing Council in 1996 and comprises a number of parks, playing fields and countryside sites.
Northolt Village Residents Association, The History of Northolt Village, 2011; LB Ealing Northolt Village Green Conservation Area Appraisal (March 2007)