Ealing was a large village by the late C18th, having become a popular rural retreat for the wealthy during the C17th, although few of their houses survive apart from Pitshanger Manor. An open green space crossed by paths with a number of mature trees, the commonland of Ealing Green was the site of the 3-day Ealing Fair each June until 1880. It was acquired by Ealing Local Board in 1878, along with other common land in the parish. In 1863, the year the Local Board was set up, Ealing Green was the venue for celebrations for the Prince of Wales's marriage to Princess Alexandra and in 1902 the new Ealing Council approved the planting of a tree to commemorate the Coronation and the first Mayoral Year. Ealing War Memorial faces the Green, dedicated in 1921.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk/services/environment/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Ealing was a large village by the late C18th, having become popular as a rural retreat for the aristocratic and wealthy during the C17th, although few of their houses survive apart from Pitzhanger Manor, which faces the Green on the edge of Walpole Park (q.v.). An open green space crossed by paths with a number of mature trees, the Green had long been the site of the 3-day village fair each June until well into the C19th. Mrs Jackson, author of 'The Annals of Ealing' described the fair in an article in the Middlesex County Times in 1927: ' during the three days that it lasted, the whole village kept holiday and a merry crowd agog with excitement thronged the booths, where the Giant and the Dwarf, the Fat Lady, the Learned Pig, the Performing Poodle, the Fortune-telling Pony and many other wonders were to be seen and the gingerbread stalls, so resplendent and captivating, with their rows and rows of gilt figures did a fine trade. . . It was the rule of the fair that neither booth nor stall should open business until the ladies of the Manor House, the Misses Perceval, had walked through the lines. This these ladies did for many years and still the courteous dignity of their family was in their kindly works of welcome to the showmen. Unhappily, ruder times followed, and brought about the downfall of the Fair. The level of behaviour was so low at last that the railings of the Manor House had to be boarded and eventually the privilege of holding the Fair on Ealing Green was forfeited.'
Ealing Green was acquired by Ealing Local Board in 1878, at the same time as their acquisition of Ealing Common (q.v.), Haven Green (q.v.) and Drayton Green. In the same year as the Local Board's formation in 1863, Ealing Green had been the venue for celebrations for the marriage of the Prince of Wales to Princess Alexandra when an 'immense tent' was erected with well-stocked tables for '650 men and their wives', the Hon. Spencer Horace Walpole and other dignitaries attending. It was not only the well-to-do who joined in these celebrations, with food provided widely to the borough's population, and sports and fireworks presented on Ealing Common. In 1863 the only street lamp in Ealing village was sited on the Green, put up and paid for by private subscription.
Ealing developed substantially following the arrival of the Great Western Railway in 1838 and the Metropolitan District Line in 1879, and became a popular suburb. In 1902 the new Ealing Council approved the planting of a tree on the Green to commemorate the Coronation and the first Mayoral Year, the tree to be 'railed and with a suitable plaque'. The Green has some fine buildings facing it including Morgan House, Wrexham Lodge, Willow House, St Mary's House and Pine Cottage and Lodge. A small area of 0.08 hectares in private ownership is Registered Village Green. Ealing War Memorial is on the Green in front of Pitzhanger Manor and was dedicated on 13 November 1921.when it was handed over to Ealing Council. It was designed by architect Leonard Shuffrey in the form of a gateway flanked by two walls listing the names of those killed in WWI. Two wings were later added to commemorate those who had died in WWII. The four urns surmounted on pedestals on the memorial were originally at Elm Grove, home of Spencer Perceval. An avenue led across the Green from St Mary's Road to the Memorial.
LB Ealing Conservation Area Appraisal leaflet (April 1999); Middlesex County Times 11/10/1902, 18/6/1927; Peter Hounsell, 'Ealing and Hanwell Past' (Historical Publications, 1991); Peter Hounsell 'The Ealing Book' (Historical Publications, 2005), p74