|Greenford Park Cemetery||Ealing|
Greenford Park Cemetery was opened as a private cemetery, later taken over by Greenford Council. It was laid out on former farmland on the west side of Brent Valley, with a grid of paths leading to a small chapel in the centre. It was declared open for interments 'at exceptionally low charges' in January 1902; in 1905 it was agreed that Hanwell parishioners could be buried there. The gravestones are set in mown grass, with some ornamental trees and shrubs as well as larger trees including horse chestnut, sycamore, Lombardy poplar and willow.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk/services/community/births_deaths_marriages/deaths/cemeteries
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Greenford Park Cemetery is sited on the western side of Brent Valley, on land which was previously meadow and farmland; it is laid out with a grid of paths leading to a small picturesque brick chapel in the centre. The cemetery was initially opened as a private cemetery, later taken over by Greenford Council. It was declared open for interments 'at exceptionally low charges' in January 1902; in 1905 it was agreed that Hanwell parishioners could be buried there. Hanwell's Burial Board had formed in 1881 and initially used the two private cemeteries on the north and south sides of Uxbridge Road, Hanwell Cemetery (Westminster) and Kensington Hanwell Cemetery (q.q.v.). In 1895 Hanwell UDC was set up and took over responsibility for burial from the Burial Board, and it was decided that making use of the Hanwell Cemeteries was impractical, hence the agreement to use Greenford Park Cemetery. Hanwell, Greenford and Perivale were all absorbed into Ealing Borough Council in 1926.
The generally modest gravestones are set in mown grass, with some ornamental trees and shrubs as well as larger horse chestnut, sycamore, Lombardy poplar and willow. New landscaping has been undertaken in c.2001 by the Council's Parks contractors which include a new garden of rest on the site of former cemetery buildings near the entrance, fenced on 2 sides and having a central lawn surrounded by a path with seating, small timber pergolas, and palms and other planting. Adjacent to this garden is a further area of new landscaping next to a modern brick building on the wall of which is mounted a lion bird bath (?) and trellising. Further east of this off the main drive is a further area of new landscaping in the cemetery's children's section which has timber rustic railing, flower beds and a circular raised pond surrounded with flowers and a central sculpture of dolphin.
Meg Game, John Archer, Mathew Frith, 'Nature Conservation in Ealing', Ecology Handbook 16 (London Ecology Unit), 1991, p46; Middlesex County Times 4/1/1902; 28/1/1905; Peter Hounsell, 'Ealing and Hanwell Past' (Historical Publications, 1991) p57