Havelock Cemetery opened in 1883 as Southall's parish churchyard was becoming overcrowded. It is named after Sir Henry Havelock, the British army general who was prominent in suppressing the Indian Mutiny of 1857. A mortuary was built in 1895 and a small mortuary chapel in 1896, neither remaining today. It was extended to the north in 1924. The entrance on Church Avenue has cast-iron gates, gate piers and railings, as does the main entrance on Havelock Road. There are a few interesting monuments, a yew walk, and a variety of trees particularly along the Havelock Road boundary, including yew and Cedars near the entrance.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk/services/community/births_deaths_marriages/deaths/cemeteries
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Havelock Cemetery was opened in 1883 by the local Burial Board when the parish churchyard of St John's (q.v.) was becoming overcrowded. It was laid out on a rectangular site, previously open land to the east of the vicarage, with land to the north remaining open. Southall was one of three hamlets within the precinct of Norwood that came under the ancient parish of Hayes, only becoming a separate parish in 1859; the Manor of Hayes was long owned by the Archbishops of Canterbury. In 1894 the Southall-Norwood UDC was established to administer local affairs by which time the rural environment had changed to a suburban one as the improvement in transport had brought industry and housing to the area.
Havelock Road had existed as a field lane for centuries past. It was re-named after Major-General Sir Henry Havelock, the British army general who was prominent in suppressing the Indian Mutiny of 1857, also known as the India's First War of Independence. Havelock also has a statue in Trafalgar Square (q.v.). Since the 1950s Southall began to attract a large number of immigrants, including many from the Commonwealth, and soon had a high population of Sikh residents. The Sri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara (Sikh temple) was established by Sikhs who had emigrated to England and Sri Guru Singh Sabha Southall was set up in 1964 to serve Southall's Sikh population, with the first Gurdwara built on Southall Green that year. Eventually the Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha was built on Havelock Road and opened in 2003, one of the largest Sikh temples outside India. There was a campaign to rename Havelock Road and other local places that bear his name, but to no effect.
The cemetery was consecrated in 1883 by the Bishop of London. A mortuary was built in 1895 near the west boundary, and a small chapel in 1896 towards the east, but neither remains today. The cemetery was extended over open land to the north in 1924 with the main entrance at the end of Church Avenue, now closed, which has ornamental cast-iron gates, gate piers and railings. The original gates also remain on Havelock Road, now the main entrance. The cemetery has paths laid out in a grid, and a number of interesting monuments. A variety of trees are planted within the cemetery, particularly along the Havelock Road boundary, including yew and Cedars near the entrance. There is a small raised circular bed with floral planting and a yew walk leading to the gates on Church Avenue. The cemetery is now closed to new burials, and only used for burials in re-opened family owned graves.
C Webb revised ed of P Wolfston 'Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria', Society of Genealogists, 1994; Jonathan Oates, 'Images of England: Southall' (Tempus Publishing, 2001, 2003 ed) p.73