Haven Green has existed as common land since medieval times, with a small hamlet distinct from the larger settlement at Ealing Green. As a result of the 1866 Metropolitan Commons Act, Ealing Local Board purchased Haven Green and other common lands in 1878 to preserve them as public open space, at a time when suburban development was accelerating. Horse chestnuts were planted around the perimeter of the Green, with a walk lined with London plane trees along the south side.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Haven Green has existed as common land since medieval times, with a small hamlet here distinct from the larger settlement at Ealing Green (q.v.). As a result of the 1866 Metropolitan Commons Act, Ealing Local Board purchased Haven Green in 1878 at the same time as it purchased other common lands to preserve them as public open space, including Ealing Green, Ealing Common and Drayton Green. Development in the area began in the latter part of the C19th. The Great Western Railway began construction of its London to Bristol line from 1835, which ran through mainly farmland in Ealing, for which local landowners were compensated; the local vestry was also compensated for loss of common rights on Haven Green. However, although Ealing Station opened in 1838, it was not until the 1870s that large-scale development took place here, after the Metropolitan Railway had opened a station at Haven Green and commuters were better provided for. The two stations were amalgamated as Ealing Broadway Station in 1962. As a result Haven Green became a transport hub, with bus stops and a cab rank, where horse-drawn vehicles made way for motor vehicles.
The Local Board planted horse chestnuts around the perimeter of the Green, which also has some mature conifers and a walk of London planes along south side. There is a small yew shrubbery on the east and a series of ornamental flower beds near the roundabout to the north, which is also planted. Today a road cuts through the Green from its south-east to north-west corners, and it is also crossed by footpaths. The southern boundary is formed by the railway line.
The Parade on the east side of the Green includes D L Lewis, a chemist's shop at no. 36 with an Art Nouveau frontage dating from 1924, and interior fittings from 1902 and 1924.
Victoria County History; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); LB Ealing Conservation Area Appraisal (April 1999); Peter Hounsell, 'The Ealing Book' (Historical Publications, 2005)