Hortus Cemetery was established as a new burial ground for Southall in 1944. The rectangular site is laid out with a grid of paths. A drive leads from the main entrance with a line of ornamental trees to the north; south of the entrance is a formal rose garden. The remainder of the cemetery has little planting other than a few ornamental trees with a screen of cypress trees on three sides separating it from roads or housing. In 1986, the first Muslim burials took place here in a dedicated area.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk/services/community/births_deaths_marriages/deaths/cemeteries
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hortus Cemetery was established as a new burial ground for Southall in 1944. A drive leads from the main entrance of the cemetery with floral beds to the south and to the north a line of ornamental trees; south of the entrance is a rather elaborately laid out formal rose garden with a fan of beds in a semi-circle surrounded by clipped yew hedging and some ornamental conifers, overlooked by a raised paved area with a concrete planter. Otherwise Hortus Cemetery is laid out with grid of paths and little planting other than the odd ornamental tree and no notable tombs to speak of. The eastern half of the cemetery is separated from roads and housing by a screen of cypress trees (Leylandii) on three sides. In 1986, the first Muslim burials took place here in a dedicated area and additional space for Muslim graves was allocated in 2008, arranged in association with the Central Jamia Mosque, the only place in Southall offering a full Muslim burial service.