|Northolt Village Green and Northolt Village Green Rest Garden||Ealing|
Northolt was once known as Northall, complementing neighbouring Southall. The area was primarily agricultural until the Paddington Canal was built in 1801, stimulating excavation of brick-earth. The parish was originally 3 hamlets, of which only Northolt Village recognisably survives, its Memorial Hall and surrounding greens held under Trust by the villagers following a trust deed set up in 1927. A few buildings remain from the old village and the Green has some prominent trees and a canalised stream running through it. Near the parish church, Northolt Village Rest Garden is laid out with flower beds and lawn, overlooked by the old Willow Cottages.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk/services/environment/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Northolt used to be known as Northall, complementing neighbouring Southall, and was primarily in agricultural use until the Paddington Canal was built in 1801, although speculative building on the farmland did not begin until the 1920s. The canal stimulated excavation of brick-earth, the last brick works closing in 1939. The parish was originally three hamlets, Northolt Village, West End and Wood End, of which only Northolt recognisably survives. The Memorial Hall of Northolt Village and surrounding greens are held under Trust by the villagers following a trust deed set up in 1927. A canalised narrow stream runs through the village green, crossed by a number of small bridges. There are a few buildings remaining from the old village, and some prominent trees, preserving its rural character despite surrounding urban development. On the east side of Ealing Road is a group of older cottages, Herbert’s Cottage, Well Cottage and Fern Cottage, behind which is Deyntes Cottage. At the far end of the green in front of Station Parade is a Clock Tower dating from 1937 erected to commemorate King George VI's Coronation, in rustic style with an oak frame with brick infill, and a tiled roof surmounted by a copper weathervane. This area of the green is sometimes known as Mandeville Green.
St Mary the Virgin church (q.v.) is reached from the green up a lime tree-lined path. The small Northolt Village Rest Garden onto which the former Willow Cottages face, is situated at the bottom of the slope to the church, made into public open space within the latter part of the C20th, and are pleasantly laid out with flower beds and lawn. The cottages were empty by the early C20th and were threatened with demolition in 1915, having no sanitary arrangements, but they were eventually preserved.
Frances Hounsell, 'Greenford, Northolt and Perivale Past', (Historical Publications Ltd), 1999; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999 p538/9; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); LB Ealing Northolt Village Green Conservation Area Appraisal (March 2007)