Norwood Green is a triangular area that was once common land of the old village of Norwood, centred on the parish church of St Mary's. By 1800 there were 40 houses around the green, and it is now surrounded by mainly 1930s housing. Norwood Green Cricket Club was founded in 1867 and had free use of the Green. By 1935 there were 2 children's swings and football pitches were marked out in summer. The Green remains bordered by trees, which were formerly elm trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.ealing.gov.uk/services/environment/parks_and_open_spaces
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Norwood Green is a large triangular open space bordered by mature trees, which until the 1950s included elms. It was once common land of the old village of Norwood, centred on the parish church of St Mary's (q.v.) nearby. By 1800 there were 40 houses around the Green but it is now predominantly surrounded by 1930s housing. The area was largely agricultural until the latter part of the C19th. Norwood Green Cricket Club was founded in 1867 and had free use of the Green. There are also references to a Workmen's Cricket Club playing here in 1894. By 1935, the Green had 2 children's swings and football pitches were marked out in summer. The north side of the Green has some interesting Georgian town houses, The Grange and Friars Lawn, while to the west is a new block in the vernacular revival style of architect Charles Voysey. Norwood Hall (q.v.) is also situated near the Green, designed by Sir John Soane.
LB Ealing Conservation Area Appraisal (April 1999); Jonathan Oates, 'Images of England: Southall' (Tempus, 2001, 2003 ed)