London Gardens Online
Record
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Twyford Avenue Sports Ground Ealing

Summary

Twyford Avenue Sports Ground has been used for sports since 1899 when it was leased to the Mill Hill Cricket Club by the Elms Estate. In 1921 the Gas Light and Coke Company, later British Gas, purchased the land and opened its Sports Ground here with football pitches, a cricket square, tennis courts, and a bowling green in the north-east corner. While primarily for its employees and their families, the facilities were also available to members of the Salamander Bowls Club and from the 1960s local schools and sports clubs were able to rent the facilities. In 2000 Loftus Road plc purchased the site and it is now owned partly by Shanley Homes and by Wasps FC, mainly used as the training ground of London Wasps RFC professionals and Wasps FC amateurs.

Basic Details

Site location:
Twyford Avenue/Creffield Road, Acton

Postcode:
W3 9LE ( Google Map)

Type of site:
Private Open Land

Date(s):
1899

Designer(s):

Listed structures:
None

Borough:
Ealing

Site ownership:
Shanley Homes and by Wasps FC

Site management:
private

Open to public?
No

Opening times:
private

Special conditions:

Facilities:

Events:

Public transport:
Tube: Ealing Common (Piccadilly)

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Further Information

Grid ref:
TQ195805

Size in hectares:

Green Flag:
No

On EH National Register :
No

EH grade:
None

Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
No

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
No

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No

In Conservation Area:
Yes

Conservation Area name:
Creffield

Tree Preservation Order:
Yes

Nature Conservation Area:
No

Green Belt:
No

Metropolitan Open Land:
No

Special Policy Area:
Yes - Area of Archaeological Interest (northern portion)

Other LA designation:
Community Open Space

Fuller information

The 24-acre site has been used as a sports ground since 1899 when it was leased to the Mill Hill Cricket Club by the Elms Estate. In 1921 the Gas Light and Coke Company, later British Gas, purchased the land and opened its Sports Ground on 25 June with football pitches, a cricket square, tennis courts, and a bowling green with thatched pavilion in the north-east corner and a clubhouse. The Company had long attended to the welfare of its employees and numerous sports clubs were attached to its various offices and works, which became members of the single Gas Light and Coke Company Sports Association that was formed in 1921. In addition to the Acton Sports Ground, another was opened at East Ham, and clubrooms were also provided throughout the Company's area of operation. A full-time Sports Secretary was appointed and an Annual Gathering was held attended by the Governor, Directors and Chief Officers. The sports ground continued to be run by British Gas until 1999 primarily for its employees and their families but also available to others who were members or friends of the Salamander Bowls Club, set up in the 1920s. From the 1960s local schools and sports clubs were able to rent the facilities and in the 1990s these included facilities for squash, badminton and table tennis. In 2000 Loftus Road plc (Queen's Park Rangers Football Club) purchased the site and soon after this rents had risen and use by community clubs and schools soon dwindled, although Twyford High School still has some access. Now owned partly by Shanley Homes and by Wasps FC, the bowling green area is much neglected and the remainder of the ground mainly used as the training ground of London Wasps RFC professionals and Wasps FC amateurs.

Sources consulted:

Website of Creffield Area Residents Association (www.caraealing.org); The Conservation Studio for LB Ealing 'Creffield Conservation Area Appraisal' (March 2007); Stirling Everard 'The History of the Gas Light and Coke Company 1812-1949', (A & C Black, London, 1992, p.325

Page Top

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.