Albany Park opened in 1902, laid out on former farmland and allotments that were purchased by Enfield UDC and Trinity College Cambridge. Further additions of land were made to the park in 1921, 1926 and 1935 when it reached its current size, this last parcel of 4.75 acres procured by Enfield Borough Council with the help of a grant of £1,100 from the King George's Fields Foundation. In WWII, the railings on Bell Lane were removed for the war effort and the park was used for growing vegetables.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2003
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfield.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
6.665 hectares of former farmland and allotments were purchased by Enfield Urban District Council and Trinity College Cambridge and opened as Albany Park in 1902, probably named after Leopold, Duke of Albany, the younger son of Queen Victoria who died in 1884. Further additions of land were made to the park in 1921, 1926 and 1935 when it reached its current size. The 1935 extension was a result of £1,100 of funding from the King George's Fields Foundation and the entrance gates on Hertford Road commemorate this. The Foundation was set up following the King's death in 1936 in order to create a living memorial and provided funding for the creation or improvement of a great many playing fields. College Farm near Albany Swimming Pool was once a farmhouse used by local farmers on their way to the London markets, now used by LB Enfield. In WWII, the railings on Bell Lane were removed for the war effort and the park was used for growing tomatoes and cucumbers.
Albany Park leaflet (LB Enfield, 2001/2)