|Bush Hill Gardens||Enfield|
Bush Hill Gardens is a small public garden laid out on land purchased by Enfield UDC in 1925. Planting and landscaping were completed in the autumn of 1928 after which the gardens were opened to the public. Near the entrances on Bush Hill Road a rock garden with pond and bridge was laid out. Much of the area was once part of the Old Park Estate, a Royal property pre-dating Enfield Chase, which was eventually broken up in 1871 and subsequently built over.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2000
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfield.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Bush Hill area has evidence of early settlement with Roman remains found where Bush Hill Park Golf Course (q.v.) is now situated. The golf course and surrounding area was formerly part of the Old Park Estate, a Royal property pre-dating Enfield Chase and the Domesday survey of 1086. In 1660, Charles II granted the estate to General George Monck, Duke of Albemarle and it subsequently passed through many owners, until it began to be broken up for building in 1871. Enfield Urban District Council purchased land for a public garden here in 1925 but landscaping did not take place until 1928, the delay probably caused by an unsuccessful attempt to get the landscaping work carried out by local unemployed people, for which grants were available. Planting and landscaping were completed in the autumn of 1928 after which the park was opened to the public. The small park has undulating lawns in which are a few rose beds, bordered by an earthen path, with a perimeter planting of trees and shrubs. Near the entrance on Bush Hill Road a rock garden has been laid out with a pond over which is a small bridge. The low iron entrance gates have the name of the garden in their design.