|Bush Hill Park||Enfield|
Bush Hill Park was opened as Bush Hill Recreation Ground by Enfield UDC in 1908. It has formal gardens and some rose beds, with avenues of trees and some fine trees including horse chestnuts and oaks. The Bush Hill area was once part of Old Park Estate, a Royal property pre-dating Enfield Chase and the Domesday survey of 1086. In 1660, Charles II granted the estate to General George Monck, Duke of Albemarle and it subsequently passed through many owners, until it was broken up for building in 1871.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2000
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfield.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Bush Hill area was formerly Old Park, a Royal property pre-dating Enfield Chase and the Domesday survey of 1086. Evidence of early settlement has been found, including a Roman coffin, which is now housed at Forty Hall (q.v). In 1660, on his restoration to the throne, Charles II granted the Old Park Estate to General George Monck, Duke of Albemarle, in recognition of his support. Since that time the then-225 hectare estate passed through many owners, sometimes expanding in size, sometimes diminishing. In the C19th land at Bush Hill was owned by William Mellish (d.1838), a Tory MP for Grimsby and later Middlesex who was Director of the Bank of England. He is buried at All Saints Edmonton (q.v.). The Bush Hill estate was sold in 1871 and broken up for building, part of the estate land became Bush Hill Park Golf Course and Town Park (q.v.). The suburban development of the area accelerated as a result of the Great Eastern Railway opening Bush Hill Park station in 1880. By the mid 1930s the area was fully built up. Bush Hill Park originated as Bush Hill Recreation Ground, which was opened for public recreation by Enfield UDC in 1908. It has formal gardens and some rose beds, with avenues of trees and some fine horse chestnuts and oaks. The main area is a flat open space.
Arthur Mee, 'The King's England: London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster', (Hodder & Stoughton 1972); Victoria County History; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Andrew Duncan 'Walking Village London' (New Holland, 1997)