Edmonton Cemetery was set up by Edmonton Burial Board and laid out on land belonging to the Church Commissioners that was once used as an airfield. A straight drive from the entrance leads to the stone chapels and mortuary, which are linked by a carriage arch mounted with a spire. Sweeping drives curve away from the chapels and throughout the cemetery are numerous shrubs and fine trees, including Deodar, Lebanon cedar, Corsican pine, monkey puzzle, beech, lime and plane. The cemetery contains some good monuments dating from the mid C20th, including a granite monolith honouring those who died in the Blitz, and a stone screen commemorating people killed on 4 September 1938 when an aeroplane crashed into Dunholme Road.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2000
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfield.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Edmonton Cemetery was set up by Edmonton Burial Board and laid out on land belonging to the Church Commissioners that was once used as an airfield. It remains a well-maintained garden cemetery with a spectacular entrance from Church Street through fine wrought iron gates that have a sunflower motif, on Portland stone piers. A straight drive across lawns backed by yew, laurel and miscellaneous flowering shrubs and dotted with laurels, fastigiate yews and specimen trees (Deodar, Lebanon Cedar, Laurels) leads to the apsed stone chapels and mortuary linked by a carriage arch mounted with a spire, which were built in 1886/87, set round with four Araucaria. Sweeping drives curve away from the chapels through Corsican pines, beeches, limes, planes and other trees.
The cemetery has some fine polished granite monuments dating from the mid C20th, a granite monolith to those killed in the Blitz, and a stone screen commemorating people who were killed on 4th September 1938 when an aeroplane crashed into Dunholme Road. The composer and bandmaster James Hume (d.1932) has a monument here. The low walls of the cemetery on Church Street have lost their railings, and an early C19th villa in the north-east corner is now the cemetery office with a Cedar in the garden.
Webb C, revised ed. of Wolfston, P, Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria, Society of Genealogists, 3rd ed. 1994; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)