|Enfield Golf Course||Enfield|
Enfield Golf Course is, with Bush Hill Park Golf Course, a fragment of Old Park estate, the former park of Enfield Manor or Palace, which was a Royal property pre-dating Enfield Chase and the Domesday survey of 1086. On his restoration to the throne in 1660, Charles II granted Old Park to General George Monck and in succeeding years the 225 hectare estate passed through many owners, part of it becoming Enfield Golf Course in the C20th. Enfield Golf Club was established in 1893. The moated site of the keeper's lodge is within the grounds, through which the Salmon's Brook runs. Old Park Farm existed on the east boundary near the golf club house until the 1960s.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfieldgolfclub.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Enfield Golf Course is, with Bush Hill Park Golf Course (q.v.), on part of what was formerly Old Park, a Royal property pre-dating Enfield Chase and the Domesday survey of 1086. The moated site of the keeper's lodge remains within the golf course grounds. On his restoration to the throne in 1660, Charles II granted the Old Park Estate to General George Monck, Duke of Albermarle, in recognition of his support. Since that time the then 225 hectare estate passed through many owners, part of it becoming Enfield Golf Course in the early C20th. Until the late C19th the area was still largely fields, with Old Park Farmhouse to the east, although houses were beginning to be built to the north east, south of Windmill Hill, as the town of Enfield grew.
The golf course is marked on the OS map of 1913, with a pavilion near the Old Park Farm enclave of buildings, the latter remaining until the late 1960s when it was built up as streets. The golf course was designed by the former Open Champion, James Braid (1870-1950), who also designed or consulted on many golf courses, including Romford, Finchley, Sundridge Golf Courses (q.q.v.). Laid out on undulating countryside, dotted with trees, the parkland setting has tree lined fairways and superb greens, with the Salmons Brook winding its way through the heart of the course. The Moat is at the back of the 17th green. Although private, there are views from the entrance on Old Park Road South looking down the valley, and from Salmon's Brook, which has a footpath running along it.
Victoria County History; Revd George Hodson (Church History) and Edward Ford (General History), 'A History of Enfield in the County of Middlesex including its Royal and Ancient Manors, the Chase and the Duchy of Lancaster, with Notices of its Worthies, and its Natural History, Etc. Also an account of The Church and the Charities, and a History of the New River' (Enfield Press, printed by J H Meyers, 1873); David Pam 'The Story of Enfield Chase', Enfield Preservation Society, 1984