|Hertford Road Cemetery||Enfield|
Hertford Road Cemetery opened in 1880 on land acquired by the Enfield Burial Board and was developed as a separate entity from the adjacent churchyard of St James. The C19th Cemetery Lodge is a two-storey brick building, now largely destroyed by fire, having been sold by auction in the late 1990s. After the Burial Board was wound up in the 1920s, the cemetery was later owned by LB Enfield, and the Lodge used by the Parks Superintendent and then as a Parks store.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfield.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Originally called Enfield Highway Cemetery, this small, unpretentious but rather neglected cemetery opened for burials in 1880. It is situated behind St James' Churchyard (q.v.) and adjacent to Durants Park(q.v.) from which it is divided by iron railings and a row of old plane trees. At the boundary between the churchyard and cemetery is fencing and appear to be younger trees that may be self-seeded. A late C19th/early C20th iron gate in the fence allows access between cemetery and churchyard with a path running from one to the other. The land was acquired by the Enfield Burial Board and the cemetery was developed as a separate entity from the adjacent churchyard. The Burial Board was wound up in the 1920s, the cemetery and its C19th Cemetery Lodge later owned by LB Enfield. The Lodge is a two-storey brick building, now largely destroyed by fire, having been sold by auction in the late 1990s; when in council ownership it was used by the Parks Superintendent and later as a Parks Department store. A public footpath runs through the cemetery parallel to which is another path, both flanked by avenues of trees. The gravestones are scattered among grass, with C19th gravestones generally in the vicinity of the Lodge where there is also a garden of rest for cremations, but the cemetery is closed to new burials.
LB Enfield Briefing Note for The Lodge, Hertford Road by Local History Officer, August 2001.