|St James' Churchyard||Enfield|
St James' Church was built in 1831, when a new church was needed to serve the growing parish of Enfield. Originally a Chapel of Ease, St James's became a district church in 1833. It was damaged in a fire in the mid C20th and later restored. The churchyard, which adjoins Durants Park and Hertford Road Cemetery, was extended in 1861 and is now closed to burials. There are a number of good trees, gravestones and tombs, mainly C19th.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.enfield.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
St James' Church was built in 1831 to the designs of William Lockner, a stock brick building in Perpendicular style with a pinnacled tower. It was built as a Chapel-of-Ease for Enfield Parish as the population increased. The land was given by Mr Woodham Connop and the building cost raised by subscription. The church was consecrated on 15 October 1831 by the Bishop of London, Dr Blomfield. It later became a district church for the parish when the area to the east was assigned by Order in Council on 9 December 1833 and was licensed for marriages in 1845. The chancel was added in 1864, built in memory of Elizabeth Harman (d.1859), the wife of Revd John Harman, who was the vicar since 1854. Other members of the Harman family are commemorated, the east window having stained glass in memory of Ezekiel and Sarah Harman of Theobalds and of Sarah's sister Mary Wright. The church was damaged in a fire in the mid C20th and later restored. The churchyard was extended in 1861, and adjoins Durants Park and Hertford Road Cemetery (q.q.v). It is now closed to burials and is maintained by LB Enfield, but has some good trees, gravestones and tombs, mainly of the C19th.
Local history leaflet; Arthur Mee, 'The King's England, London North of the Thames except the City and Westminster', (Hodder & Stoughton, 1972 ed.); Revd George H Hodson and Edward Ford, 'A History of Enfield in the county of Middlesex including its Royal and Ancient Manors, the Chase and the Duchy of Lancaster with notes of its Worthies, and its Natural History, etc. Also an account of The Church and the Charities and a History of the New River' (Enfield Press, 1873).