|Tottenham Park Cemetery||Enfield|
Tottenham Park Cemetery is a small private burial ground dating from 1912, which was originally established as a paupers' cemetery. A central drive lined with trees leads to the original brick Gothic chapel, since disused. It remains privately owned and is now particularly used for Muslim burials.The Friends of Tottenham Park Cemetery was set up in the early 1990s and has undertaken conservation works including a series of stepped wooden trellises with associated planting and seats.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Tottenham Park Cemetery is a small private burial ground dating from 1912 and adjacent to the older Edmonton Federation Cemetery (q.v.). It was opened by Tottenham Park Cemetery Company and remains in private ownership, now run by Badgehurst Environmental Holdings, who also own Woodgrange Cemetery (q.v.). It has a dense layout of graves on earth without grass. A central drive lined with lime trees leads to the small brick Gothic chapel, which is now disused and derelict. It is similar in style to the chapels of Surbiton Cemetery and Streatham Cemetery and South London Crematorium (q.v.), which were designed by architect John Bannen. Ugly fencing forms part of the boundary with Edmonton Federation Cemetery, along which is an avenue of trees. The entrance onto Montagu Road is now blocked by mid to late C20th flats. The cemetery was originally a paupers' cemetery. An area near the cross belongs to the church and is for the parishioners. The cemetery has in recent years been used for Muslim burials and according to Meller "the atmosphere is positively Asiatic on a sunny day ... unique in London'.
The Friends of Tottenham Park Cemetery was set up in the early 1990s and now undertake maintaince work, which has included a series of stepped wooden trellises with associated planting and seats to the right of the path leading towards the chapel. It has since been designated a Conservation Area.
Webb C, revised ed. of Wolfston, P, Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria, Society of Genealogists, 3rd ed. 1994; Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); The Paul Drury Partnership for LB Enfield, 'Montagu Road Cemeteries Conservation Area Character Appraisal', 2006