The site that is now Bostall Gardens was acquired by the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich in 1938. After WWII it was decided to develop the area as a public garden, which was laid out and opened in 1952. In 1960 a bowling green and pavilion were added and the sloping land laid out as a series of terraces. In 2004 the old bowls pavilion was extensively refurbished, and a new children's playground and a young people's basketball court were opened on the site of the old bowling green.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The site of Bostall Gardens was acquired by the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich in 1938. A thatched barn on the site was demolished around the time of World War II and it was decided to develop the land as a public garden. These were laid out and officially opened by the Mayor on 26 April 1952. In 1960 a bowling green and pavilion were provided and the sloping land laid out as a series of terraces. The responsibility for the garden was taken over by London Borough of Greenwich and the small park had tennis courts as well as the bowling green and ornamental planting. The old bowling green was yew-hedged on three sides with seating around it and overlooked to the east by its small pavilion.
Over the years the park became run down and in 2001 a group of local residents formed Friends of Bostall Gardens, working with Greenwich Council to renovate the gardens and built structures, the bowling green pavilion having been vandalised, and the Bowls Club had now re-located. Funding was raised from organisations such as the London Marathon Trust and the Onyx Trust, which awards grants for environmental projects. As a result in 2004 the old bowls pavilion was extensively refurbished as a community building, and a new children's playground and young people's basketball court were opened on the site of the old bowling green.
There is interesting architectural detailing in the park's infrastructure of paths, walls and steps. The highest terrace at the south of the site has steps leading up to a path running east/west that is inset with a brick, cobbled and flagstone pattern, and this overlooks the tennis courts, then the bowling green, and finally a sloping lawn leading down to McLeod Road; a central flight of steps leads down to an entrance gateway. The lower wall to the tennis courts is inset with brick and stone patterning, again with a design set into the path. The lowest terrace is grassed with a number of flower beds with rocks set into some of these, and shrub beds on Rochdale Road and McLeod Road boundaries; there are trees within the park including evergreens around the boundary.
Friends of Bostall Gardens website