To the west of Avery Hill Park and behind Holy Trinity Church and adjacent housing, is a small area of public open space that contains remmants of the medieval brick Conduit Head, which once housed a weir arrangement controlling the supply of water to the moat at Eltham Palace, later used to provide water to the palace itself. The small site consists of open amenity grass, with some perimeter trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The remains of the old conduit in Conduit Meadow near Holy Trinity Church is recorded in R R C Gregory's 'The Story of Royal Eltham' in 1909. Gregory describes how the water was originally brought to the reservoir here through wooden pipes from a spring in the Warren, and from the conduit it was 'conveyed to all the houses of the Crown. It was first conducted to "Step-stile" house and gardens, thence through the Park, supplying on its way the Mansion, thence, by way of what is now the "Chestnuts" it went to the Palace. By means of branches it supplied the old houses about the Court Yard.' The old conduit was discarded in 1838 when a new conduit was built with iron replacing the wooden ones. Holy Trinity Church was erected in 1889, designed by G L Street.
See www.gregory.elthamhistory.org.uk for reproduction of R R C Gregory's 'The Story of Royal Eltham' (1909)