|Cutty Sark Gardens||Greenwich|
Cutty Sark Gardens is a landscaped area overlooking the Thames, which is of significance due to its position adjacent to where the famous tea clipper 'Cutty Sark' is moored. It was floated in the dry dock here in 1954, re-rigged and repainted, and opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1957. Until recent refurbishment of the area as a result of a successful HLF bid, another famous vessel, Sir Francis Chichester's 'Gypsy Moth IV' was also moored here. Following a fire, the Cutty Sark was restored and re-opened in 2012.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Cutty Sark was built in 1869 and was still in use as a cargo ship in 1922 when it was bought and restored. It was floated in the dry dock here in 1954, re-rigged and repainted, and opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1957, and now contains a museum. It suffered a severe fire and is undergoing restoration, due to re-open in 2012. Until recently another famous ship was moored here, 'Gipsy Moth IV', the vessel in which Sir Francis Chichester sailed around the world between 27 August 1966 and 28 May 1967. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II at the Royal Naval College (q.v.) with the same sword used by Queen Elizabeth I to knight Francis Drake in the C16th. 'Gipsy Moth IV' was removed when the area was being refurbished as a result of a successful Lottery bid of £12m.
Within the Cutty Sark Gardens site are Greenwich Pier and the southern entrance to Greenwich Foot Tunnel giving access to Island Gardens (q.v.) on the north bank. Also in the gardens is a memorial to Bellot, a young French explorer who joined in the search in 1851/2 for Lady Franklin's husband and while no trace was found of him, a stretch of water was discovered now called Bellot Water. During an expedition in 1853 Bellot died falling under the ice in Wellington Channel. £2,000 was raised by public subscription for a memorial, £500 of which was spent on the memorial obelisk designed by Philip Hardwick, the remainder going to his sisters.
LB Greenwich historical monuments notes; Beryl Platts 'A History of Greenwich' 2nd ed. (Procter Press), 1986; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993).