Long a popular place of public resort, Eaglesfield at the summit of Shooters Hill was bought by Woolwich MBC and opened as Eaglesfield Park in 1908. The name may derive from the coat of arms of C18th landowner John Lidgebird, which had two eagles, or because the summit of Shooters Hill was known as a roost for eagles in medieval times. The park is in two parts, divided by the road, the eastern part an informal grassed area and the western part landscaped with a railed children's playground on the site of a former ornamental pond known as the Lily Pond.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Long a popular place of public resort at the summit of Shooters Hill, Eaglesfield became a public park when a nine-acre site was purchased in 1907 by Woolwich MBC, with 50% of the cost provided by the LCC, which was keen to preserve open space for public recreation as London was increasingly built up. The name of the road and park may derive from the coat of arms of John Lidgebird, Sheriff of Kent in 1741 whose family owned land in the area, which depicted two large eagles. An alternative derivation may be because the summit of Shooters Hill was known to have been a place where eagles roosted in medieval times, literally an 'eagles field'. The park opened in 1908 and was designed and laid out by Lt Col J J Sexby, Chief Officer of the LCC Parks Dept at a total cost of £897. Works included enhancing an existing pond, improving walks, providing seats and tree planting.
The park is in two parts, divided by Eaglesfield Road (formerly called Waldstock Road). The eastern part is a more informal grassed area with trees mainly on its east edge. The western part is landscaped and has hornbeam and oak trees and groups of London planes; a railed children's playground is in the middle at the highest point on the site of a former ornamental pond known as the Lily Pond. There are magnificent views to the east as far as the Medway on a clear day. The playground was upgraded in 1995 with funding from London Marathon Charitable Trust.
J J Sexby, The Municipal Parks, Gardens and Open Spaces of London (1898); opening dedication (including map); South East London's Green Chain pack, 1998.