|Eltham Cemetery and Eltham Crematorium||Greenwich|
Eltham Cemetery opened in 1935 laid out as a regimented grid of plots with trees planted along the paths and around the boundary. To the south is a more wooded area with numerous mature trees and grassland. In 1956 Eltham Crematorium was added in the eastern section, with a Remembrance Chapel designed as a tiny replica of Liverpool's Roman Catholic Cathedral. To the east is a large landscaped Garden of Remembrance, planted with many trees, shrubs, paths, a pergola walk and lake with small waterfall. A series of Memorial Courts were opened in 1996.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The cemetery was opened in 1935 and was laid out by the Borough Engineer on a flat site with a regimented grid of plots with trees planted along the paths and around the boundary of the site, quite dense conifers along the boundary with Rochester Way. The red-brick chapel is 'tidy brick Gothic without surprises' (Meller), adjacent to which is a small area of rose beds in lawn laid out as a garden of remembrance. Among the memorials is that of a uniformed half-life-size figure of an airman killed in 1938; and others buried here include Major Francis Beech (d.1969), Mayor of the Borough in 1955/56 and MP for West Woolwich in 1943-45; General Ernest Stockley (d.1946) who was decorated in World War I; and Joe Crozier, Scottish International goal keeper. To the south is a more wooded area with numerous mature trees and grassland.
In 1956, the Crematorium was added in the eastern section, with a remembrance chapel designed as a tiny replica of Liverpool's Roman Catholic Cathedral. A large enclosed garden of remembrance is laid out to the east of the buildings, landscaped on undulating ground with many trees, shrubs, paths, a pergola walk and lake with small waterfall, the garden surrounded by brick walling. Either side and halfway along the wide drive from the main entrance gates/lodge and the cemetery chapel are two small 1930s brick pavilions, behind the easterly one is a walled area within which are a number of Memorial Courts, a maze-like series of interconnecting 'rooms' called after plants, which include Azalea, Camellia, Jasmine, Buddleia, Ceanothus etc., which was opened on 18 June 1996 by the Mayors of Greenwich, Bexley and Dartford, the three authorities who own the Crematorium. Paved with York stone and herring brick paths, the courts have pebbles around the perimeter walls, with planters in some areas.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)