|Eltham Park North, including Shepherdleas Wood||Greenwich|
Eltham Park North was once part of the estate of Avery Hill and was acquired by the LCC in 1929/30 for public open space. To the south is an earlier LCC park, Eltham Park South, accessed from a pedestrian footbridge over the railway and Eltham Relief Road that separates the two park. In 1936 Shepherdleas Wood was added to the park, a large tract of native oak woodland, which is part of the ancient Shooters Hill Woodlands. In the centre of the park is Long Pond, surrounded by willows and ornamental shrubs.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Eltham Park North was once part of the estate of Colonel J T North at Avery Hill (q.v.). The land was acquired by the LCC in 1929/30, and in 1936 Shepherdleas Wood was added to the park, a large tract of native Oak woodland, with a notable woodland bank to Rochester Way, which is part of ancient Shooters Hill Woodlands (q.v.). Off Eltham Park Gardens the park has an area of rough open space; otherwise it is largely grass on a site sloping north with some shrubbery, trees including Lombardy poplars, and is laid out with simple asphalt paths. In the centre is Long Pond, which is planted with willows and ornamental shrubs and attracts wildfowl. To the south is an earlier park, Eltham Park South, the two parks separated by the railway and now also by the Eltham Relief Road, access between the two via a pedestrian footbridge. Eltham Parks North and South were awarded a Green Flag Award jointly in 2010-11.
E Jefferson 'The Woolwich Story 1890-1965', 1970; Spurgeon, D, Discover Greenwich and Charlton, 1991; Sue Swales, Meg Game, Ian Yarham, 'Nature Conservation in Greenwich', Ecology Handbook 10 (London Ecology Unit), 1989.