Greenwich Cemetery was founded 1856 by Greenwich Burial Board on a hilly site, which commands fine views towards both the City and Crystal Palace. The cemetery has two Gothic chapels, and a 1930s lodge at the entrance. Due to the proximity of the military academy and other institutions at Woolwich, there are numerous army personnel buried here. There is little mature planting, and particularly interesting tombs are found predominantly near the chapels.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Greenwich Cemetery was founded in 1856 by Greenwich Burial Board, and is situated on a rather exposed hilly site with remarkably little mature planting consisting of limes, a few Leylandia, Corsican pine and yews. There are two "large but lumpish" (Meller) Gothic chapels, and at the entrance is a 1930s lodge, with gates and railings, brick piers with stone capitals. There are panoramic views from the Great War Heroes Corner at the top of the hill of Crystal Palace and towards City. There are other specially designated areas within the cemetery such as the Commonwealth Burial Ground, the Norwegian section for refugees of World War II, and a Children's section.
Among the memorials of note are three pairs of small C19th tazzas beside the main drive; large horizontal incised slabs with heraldic devices for Henry Smith (d.1923) and his family; and the monument for Nicholas Ogareff who was originally buried in Russia in 1877 but whose body was later exhumed, cremated and the ashes brought to Greenwich for reburial in 1966. Due to the proximity of the military academy and other institutions at Woolwich, there are numerous army personnel buried here, including General Sir Arthur Holland (d.1927), Commandant of the Royal Military Academy, and Surgeon General James Jameson (d.1904) who was the Director General of the Army Medical Services in the Boer War and the Commander of the British Ambulance Division in the Franco-Prussian War.
The cemetery has flower beds within an area of lawn at the entrance, and fine tombs are found predominantly near the chapels, with a particularly good sculpted group at the top of hill towards the west near the War Graves.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Sue Swales, Meg Game, Ian Yarham, 'Nature Conservation in Greenwich', Ecology Handbook 10 (London Ecology Unit), 1989.