|Kidbrooke Green Park, including Kidbrooke Green Nature Reserve||Greenwich|
Kidbrooke Green Park is a remnant of the old village green, and the adjoining Nature Reserve is the last remaining marsh area of Kidbrooke. The area was largely farmed until the C19th, and in 1938 the farmland and remnant of the village green were sold to the Air Ministry for RAF Kidbrooke. In 1960 the former green was transferred to the local Council and was used for recreation, known as Rochester Way Playing Field. Kidbrooke Nature Reserve was created in the 1980s when the Rochester Way Relief Road was constructed.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Kidbrooke Green is the last remaining marsh area of Kidbrooke, appearing on old maps of the 1800s. The name of the hamlet may come from the streams flowing from Shooters Hill into the Quaggy River. Until the C19th Kidbrooke was largely farmland, with the land that is now Kidbrooke Green Park part of Lower Kidbrooke Farm, later called Stud Farm. The farmland and old village green was sold in 1938 to the Air Ministry for RAF Kidbrooke, but in 1960 the former green was transferred to the local Council and was used for recreation and known as Rochester Way Playing Field. The Kidbrooke Nature Reserve was created in the 1980s when the Rochester Way Relief Road was constructed and following the discovery of Great Crested Newts on the bank, a conservation hedge was developed.
In 2003 Kidbrooke Action Group was formed to address community issues and undertook some improvements to the Playing Field, which was re-named Kidbrooke Green Park. New benches, litter bins, lighting and pathways were provided. In 2006 Friends of Kidbrooke Green Park was formed. The main part of the site is an open grass area with perimeter poplar trees, with a mound and tennis and ball courts with high fencing to Rochester Way. The base of a demolished pavilion remains in the park.
Between the boundary with Rochester Way and the Relief Road, the Nature Reserve forms a linear strip of land alongside the main area of the park. It provides a semi-natural wet woodland with small animal hides and a boardwalk; two ponds provide a habitat for many aquatic plants and amphibians.
Just to the south of the park, the Kidbrooke area is currently undergoing regeneration as part of a 15-20 year project by Berkeley Homes in partnership with Greenwich Council that commenced in 2009 to provide new homes and other facilities including a new public park as well as landscaping.
LB Greenwich, 'Kidbrooke Green Park Management Plan' (draft), 2008