|Church Street Gardens||Hackney|
Church Street Gardens existed as a shrubbery maintained by Stoke Newington Borough Council in the early C20th, but was laid out as a garden in 1953 in celebration of the Queen's Coronation. A small oval garden with grass, circular rose bed and ornamental trees surrounded by low walling, it is situated opposite the ancient parish church of St Mary and adjacent to the newer church, built to accommodate the growing parish.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hackney.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Listed in the 1928 Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares as a shrubbery maintained by Stoke Newington Borough Council, this small oval 'village green' was later laid out in 1953 to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, at the same time as the Albion Road/Clissold Crescent Triangle (q.v.). Both are now preserved under The London Squares Act 1931. It is situated adjacent to the new St Mary's Church of Stoke Newington and opposite St Mary's Old Church (q.v.) and Clissold Park (q.v.) and has a Metropolitan Cattle Trough. It is a small oval garden, surrounded by a low wall, with a circular rose bed but otherwise laid to grass, surrounded by flowering cherry trees, some of them purple-leafed variety.
'Clissold Park', Abney Park Cemetery Trust, 1997; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928