Clapton Park is on land formerly the site of a farmyard, which was itself built on what was probably an old Roman foss-way leading directly across the old River Lea. The area was laid out by the London County Council as Clapton Park Housing Estate between 1967-1972. The small park consists of a flat grassed open space with perimeter shrubs and some notable trees. It is overlooked by Council housing and separated from Hackney Marshes by the River Lee Navigation. A tarmac path runs between two entrances, and a fenced-off adventure playground and children's playground are the only amenities.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/08/2008
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hackney.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Benjamin Clarke, 'Glimpses of Ancient Hackney and Stoke Newington' (first published 1892/93; new edition published by LB Hackney/Hackney Society, 1986);