|Hackney Road Recreation Ground||Hackney|
Hackney Road Recreation Ground was the site of a former burial ground in the C18th, Shoreditch Burying Ground, superseded in the C19th by a range of almshouses. The site still contains one memorial stone marking the grave of Thomas Fairchild (d.1729), a leading nurseryman and botanist. Fairchild's Nursery in Shoreditch existed from 1691 to 1740 and specialised in flowering plants. His tomb here was restored by The Gardeners Company in 1846, 1891 and again in 1949. The site became a recreation ground in the C20th, providing tennis courts and a planted area with paths, seating and shrubs in timber planters, and a number of mature plane trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/07/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hackney.gov.uk/hackney-road-recreation-ground.htm
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Hackney Road Recreation Ground was formerly the site of Shoreditch Burying Ground in the C18th, which was superseded in the C19th by a range of almshouses. The site still contains one memorial stone marking the grave of Thomas Fairchild (d.1729) who, according to the Worshipful Company of Gardeners, was buried 'by his own request in the furthest corner of the churchyard of the Parish of St Leonard in Shoreditch [q.v.], where the poor were usually buried, some 200 yards from the church'. His tomb was restored by The Gardeners Company in 1846, 1891 and again in 1949. Fairchild was a leading early C18th nurseryman and botanist, and first publicist of London Town Gardening with his publication of 'The City Gardener' in 1722 in which he described all the plants that would thrive in the polluted air of the capital. In c.1717 Fairchild crossed the Carnation with the Sweet William to create 'Fairchild's Mule'. He was head of the London Society of Gardeners, which published the first union-catalogue of stock in 1730. Fairchild's Nursery was in Shoreditch from 1691 - 1740 and specialised in flowering plants.
Writing in 1896, Mrs Basil Homes referred to an 'ancient watch-house' in the burial ground that was later used as a cholera hospital. In 1892 it was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association as a public playground and was maintained by the Shoreditch Burial Ground. It later provided tennis courts and a planted area with paths, seating and shrubs in timber planters, and now has a ping pong table. The site is bordered on Hackney Road by iron railings with a gateway featuring a sunburst above it. The Recreation Ground is currently home to artist Tom Wolseley, who is exhibiting his Cabin/et exhibition. His artwork occupies a recycled shipping container, and changes on a monthly basis.
John Harvey 'The Nursery Garden' (Museum of London) 1990; Mrs Basil Holmes 'The London Burial Grounds', London 1896