|Middlesex Filter Beds Nature Reserve||Hackney|
The Middlesex Filter Beds are important for their industrial heritage as well as for nature conservation. The 6 filter beds were constructed by East London Waterworks Co. in 1852/3 in order to provide safe water to the surrounding area. By 1969 more up-to-date facilities were needed and the filter beds here ceased to be used, becoming overgrown but a haven for wildlife. In 1988 Thames Water, which now owned the site, leased it to Lee Valley Regional Park Authority and it was opened as Middlesex Filter Beds Nature Reserve. Two sculptures were specially commissioned, Kate Malone's 'Rise and Shine Magic Fish' and Paula Haughney's 'Nature's Throne'.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.leevalleypark.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The River Lea or Lee formerly marked the border between Middlesex and Essex; according to medieval chronicles King Alfred pursued the Danes up the river, which was also possibly used by the Romans. In 1830 the East London Waterworks Co., which had been established at Old Ford in Bow in 1807, bought Hackney Waterworks and cut a canal between Lea Bridge and Old Ford across the Hackney Marshes. There was a serious cholera outbreak in 1849 and the need for provision of clean and safe water led to the Company's construction in 1852/3 of the 6 Middlesex Filter Beds at Lea Bridge to supply purified water to the surrounding area. An additional 19 filter beds were later constructed, 7 of which were the Essex Filter Beds, now the Waterworks Nature Reserve. The Company also created new reservoirs at Walthamstow in 1861. In the early 1900s the East London Waterworks Company was taken over by the Metropolitan Water Board.
By 1969 more modern facilities for water treatment were needed and the Middlesex Filter Beds were replaced by the Coppermills Water Treatment Works in Walthamstow. As a result the unused filter beds here became overgrown and a haven for wildlife. Thames Water, which had owned the site from 1974, leased it in 1988 to Lee Valley Regional Park Authority (LVRPA), which had taken over tracts of land and water including the Walthamstow Marshes (q.v.) in 1972.
The Middlesex Filter Beds were opened as a nature reserve and in the early 1990s artists Paula Haughney and Kate Malone were commissioned to make new works of art for the site. Malone's 'Rise and Shine Magic Fish' consists of two large ceramic fish that are sited in a lake in one of the former filter beds. Haughney's 'Nature's Throne' was created from huge granite blocks that were once part of the foundations of one of the Engine Houses.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Lee Valley Regional Park Authority website: www.leevalleypark.org.uk