Sanford Terrace is an elegant late C18th Georgian terrace, fronted by a wide strip of mown grass with trees along the perimeter with Rectory Road, enclosed by low rails and posts and crossed by paths. It once formed part of Stoke Newington Common.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hackney.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Sanford Terrace is an elegant late C18th Georgian terrace, fronted by a wide strip of mown grass with trees along the perimeter with Rectory Road, enclosed by low rails and posts and crossed by paths. It is adjacent to Stoke Newington Common (q.v.) and once formed part of the commonland, that was gradually encroached as the area was developed for housing. The terrace was built from 1775-8 by Henry Sanford, who built 29 houses in two ranges, Sanford Place and Sanford Terrace, now all named Sanford Terrace. Nos 9-17 were 3-storey houses that had sunken basements, and Nos. 18-21 had 2 storeys with attics and basements. At that time the west side of Stoke Newington High Street was being intensively developed. The terrace was renovated in 1974-75 by Hackney Borough Council following a public enquiry, which forbade their demolition.
The Buildings of Hackney; Draft Northwold and Cazenove Conservation Area Appraisal, 2008