|Shacklewell Green and Shacklewell Lane Triangle||Hackney|
Shacklewell was a medieval hamlet that grew up on both sides of Shacklewell Lane, an old route between the village of Hackney and Kingsland Road. An ancient well attracted visitors from the C17th onwards, and various inns and hostelries were established here. Shacklewell Green and Shacklewell Lane Triangle, sometimes called the 'small green', are survivals of manorial waste that were given to Hackney Board of Works for public open space in 1883 by the Lord of the Manor, whose manor house was to the north. The Green has perimeter plane trees and contains the 1914-18 war memorial.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/12/2006
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.hackney.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Shacklewell was an old medieval hamlet of Hackney, which had this name by the mid C18th, although there are records of settlement here from 1490 when a saddler, Thomas Cornish, had a tenant here. The village grew up on both sides of Shacklewell Lane, which was an old route between the village of Hackney and Kingsland Road, and an area of waste formed the village green. As the name indicates, it was once the site of an ancient well, and in the C17th and C18th it was frequented as a rural retreat by visitors from London. Various inns and hostelries were established near the Green, the earliest being the Cock Inn, which was in existence by 1725, and The Green Man, licensed in 1760. North of Shacklewell Green was Shacklewell Manor, which in the C16th belonged to Sir John Heron, Master of the Jewel House, whose wife Cecilia was the daughter of Sir Thomas More. By the late C17th it was the home of Francis Tyssen, who was Lord of the Manor of Hackney and a major landowner. Between 1672 and 1735 the number of households in the village grew from 14 to 47, and by the late C18th there were a number of gentlemen's houses.
The green spaces of both Shacklewell Green and Shacklewell Lane Triangle were formerly owned by the Lord of the Manor, who gave them to the Hackney Board of Works in 1883. Both spaces are protected as public open space under the London Squares and Enclosures (Preservation) Act of 1906, and in 1928 they were described as 'well-kept enclosures in the middle of a public road, laid out as lawns with some trees and shrubs' (Royal Commission on London Squares). The Green has a single line of notable London plane trees around the perimeter and is laid out with grass and crazy paving path; seats were placed here in the late C19th by the MPGA and the green is also the setting for the 1914-18 war memorial. The garden is surrounded by modern railings set onto a low brick wall. Shacklewell Lane Triangle is an area of grass slightly raised behind a low brick wall with a few trees.
Public Open Spaces in Hackney; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; St Mark's Conservation Area Appraisal, 2008; T F T Baker, ed, 'A History of the County of Middlesex: Vol 10 Hackney', Victoria County History, 1995