London Gardens Online
Select by type
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Emery Walker's House Hammersmith & Fulham
   

Emery Walker's House

Photo: The Emery Walker Trust

> Enlarge picture

> Album

No. 7 Hammersmith Terrace was the former home of Sir Emery Walker, an important figure in the Arts and Crafts Movement and friend of William Morris. He lived here from 1903 until his death in 1933, following which his daughter continued to live here. In 1999 the house and its contents was bequeathed to the Emery Walker Trust. The house has a complete Arts and Crafts interior, and the small cottage-style rear garden retains much of the style of Dorothy Walker's planting.
Previous / Other name: Emery Walker's House
Site location: 7, Hammersmith Terrace, Chiswick Mall, Hammersmith
Postcode: W6 9TS > Google Map
Type of site: Private Garden
Date(s):
Designer(s):
Listed structures: LBII*: 7 Hammersmith Terrace
Borough: Hammersmith & Fulham
Site ownership: Emery Walker Trust
Site management: Emery Walker Trust
Open to public? Yes
Opening times: Open for pre-booked tours on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays between April-September (020 8741 4104). Has opened for OGSW
Has taken part in Open Garden Squares Weekend 6 times, most recently in 2017.
Special conditions: Admission charge. No photography inside the house.
Facilities: Shop
Events:
Public transport: Tube: Ravenscourt Park (District). Bus: 27, 190, 267, 391, H91
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.emerywalker.org.uk

Fuller information:

Hammersmith Terrace is a fine row of Georgian houses dating from c.1750. No 7 is the former home of Sir Emery Walker (1851-1933), founder of the Doves Press, and an eminent typographer, engraver and printer linked to the Arts and Crafts Movement. He was a friend and mentor to William Morris who lived nearby at Kelmscott House (q.v.). Emery Walker had lived in this area for many years; he lived in No. 3 from 1879 and in No. 7 from 1903, a house previously occupied by T J Cobden-Sanderson, the bookbinder. After Sir Emery's death in 1933, his daughter Dorothy Walker continued to live in the house until her own death in 1963 when she left the house and contents to her companion, Elizabeth de Haas. Miss de Haas lived here until her death in 1999 when in turn she bequeathed the house to the Emery Walker Trust, who first opened it to the public in 2005. The house has a complete Arts and Crafts interior, with William Morris wallpapers, textiles and furniture. The Trust's object is the 'advancement of the education of the public in arts and crafts design and architecture... by promoting... the study and appreciation of artists, craftsmen, designers and architects of the 19th and early 20th centuries and their works and the Arts and Crafts movement, and acquiring and thereafter conserving, maintaining and displaying 7 Hammersmith Terrace and its contents'. At the rear of the property is a delightful small cottage style garden with wisteria covering the back wall; a path leads to the back door up a short flight of steps.

Sources consulted:

Emery Walker Trust leaflet and website; LB Hammersmith & Fulham, The Mall Conservation Area Character Profile, 1997
Grid ref: TQ221782
Size in hectares:
   
On EH National Register : No
EH grade:
Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
Registered common or village green
on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares
Preservation Act 1931:
No
 
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
On Local List:
In Conservation Area: Yes
Conservation Area name: The Mall
Tree Preservation Order: No
Nature Conservation Area: No
Green Belt: No
Metropolitan Open Land: No
Special Policy Area: Yes - Thames Policy Area
Other LA designation:
   

| Page Top |

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.
< Back