|Gwendwr Gardens||Hammersmith & Fulham|
Gwendwr Gardens is on land that was once the site of the Cedars Lawn Tennis Club. The land was donated to Fulham Borough Council by R G Gunter and opened in 1949 as a memorial garden. The name of the road and park comes from an estate owned by the Gunter family in Wales. The garden has flagged stone paths, a sunken garden with pool, rose beds, shrub borders, lawn at the west with specimen trees and a low stone wall and hedge boundary.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lbhf.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The land was owned by the Gunter family and was offered by Robert Geoffrey Gunter to Fulham Borough Council to be laid out as a memorial garden for the benefit of local people in memory of war damage in the West Kensington especially that of the night of 20 February 1944. Mr Gunter also contributed to the cost of laying out the garden and it opened on 23 July 1949. A statue by Hermon Cawthra, 'Meditation', which was exhibited in the Royal Academy of 1957, was installed in the garden but has subsequently been stolen. Another work by the same artist is found in Pryor's Bank Gardens (q.v.). Cawthra had a studio at Elysium Place in 1932-41 and at No. 4 Fulham Park Gardens from 1946-64. On the south side of Gwendwr Road is a small grassed area and there are some areas of planting and grass along Talgarth Road.
LB Hammersmith & Fulham Archives Dept, 'A note on the open spaces of Fulham and Hammersmith', 1974 p10