|Margravine Cemetery||Hammersmith & Fulham|
Margravine Cemetery was founded as Hammersmith Cemetery in 1869. It later became known as Hammersmith Old Cemetery when Mortlake Cemetery was opened. north lodge and two chapels, one of which was demolished in 1939 and its position is marked by shrubbery. The cemetery retains its original walls and gateway from Margravine Gardens, and once had two chapels; its octagonal mortuary is now a store. The layout consists of a simple axial drive and turning circle from the west entrance and planting within the cemetery is largely deciduous trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lbhf.gov.uk/Directory/Community_and_Living/Birth_marriage_and_death/
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
Margravine Cemetery is a now managed as public garden, with the old graves grassed over. It was founded as Hammersmith Cemetery in 1869 by Hammersmith Burial Board and laid out by local architect, George Saunders, who designed the Gothic-style north lodge and two chapels, one of which was demolished in 1939 and its position is marked by shrubbery. The octagonal mortuary is now a store. The cemetery has very fine brick walls and gateway from Margravine Gardens. The layout consists of a simple axial drive and turning circle from the west entrance. Planting within the cemetery is largely deciduous trees, with sycamore, lime, poplar and younger specimen trees, and there is beech hedging along many paths. When the cemetery was becoming full, Mortlake Cemetery (q.v.) was established, as a result of which this cemetery was sometimes referred to as Hammersmith Old Cemetery. Interesting memorials include that to bandmaster Tom Brown with a stone cello, and the tomb of Abe Smith, a gold digger in New South Wales who is portrayed in his digger's hut. See Hammersmith Council website Historical Sculptures Search for information on other monuments of note in the cemetery. The cemetery won the Green Flag Award in 2010/11 for the third year in a row. It is once again available for burial.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); John Archer, Daniel Keech 'Nature Conservation in Hammersmith & Fulham', Ecology Handbook 25, London Ecology Unit, 1993. See Hammersmith Council website Historical Sculptures Search