|Old Oak Estate||Hammersmith & Fulham|
The Old Oak Estate is an early LCC estate built from 1911 onwards on land acquired from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It was constructed in 2 phases and consists of cottage-style houses set back from the roads around grassed areas planted with trees, with small front gardens behind privet hedges. With its street trees and grass verges, and use of traditional materials, the estate shows the influence of the Garden Suburb movement then prevalent. A new community garden has been created, although over the years hedges and trees have been lost.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lbhf.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
In 1905 the LCC purchased 54 acres of land from the Ecclesiastical Commisisoners in order to build new public housing, subsequently selling 8 acres to the Great Western Railway for the branch line between Ealing and Shepherds Bush. The first phase of the Old Oak Estate was constructed to the west of the railway in 1912-13, with the second phase to the east built in 1920-23 and an additional 14 houses were built in 1927. Designed by LCC architects A S Soutar, F J Lucas, and J M Corment, the cottage-style estate with its two-storey red brick houses is notable for the use of privet hedges, street trees, grass verges and front gardens, consistent with the garden suburb ethos of the period. The design was clearly influenced by Hampstead Garden Suburb and the architects drawings show more elaborate planting than now exists, so it seems likely that the original plan was not fully executed.
A Quinley, 'House and Home: a history of the small English house' (1986) BBC London [chapter 6 'Cottages for all' includes Old Oak Estate]; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p223; LB Hammersmith & Fulham 'Wormholt and Old Oak Design Guidelines'