|The Queen's Club||Hammersmith & Fulham|
The Queen's Club sports ground was first established here in 1886 as the area was being developed for housing. Initially established as a cricket ground, from 1887 the club provided facilities for lawn tennis for which it is now most famous. In 1953 the Lawn Tennis Association purchased the Club. In 2005/6 the Lawn Tennis Association began preparations to move its headquarters to a new National Tennis Centre in Roehampton and in 2006 The Queen's Club was sold to Club Members on a 120-year lease
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/09/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.queensclub.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The area was largely undeveloped prior to the 1860s, much of it farmland. Greyhound Road is an old route that existed between North End and the river prior to the housing development that accelerated particularly after the opening of North End Fulham railway station (later West Kensington station) in 1874 encouraged speculative house building. The Queen's Club was established as a sports ground in 1886 on a former market garden called the Queen's Field. Prior to this the three leading sporting clubs in London were Lord's, Prince's Club and the Hurlingham Club. Prince's Club closed in 1887, its site now that of Cadogan Square, Lennox Gardens and Hans Place (q.q.v.), and the Queen's Club was able to fill this gap in sporting provision in London. It was initially The Queen’s Cricket Club and Ground under Gibbs and Flew Partners, the developers of the surrounding area, but from 1887 the club provided facilities for lawn tennis for which it is now most famous. The first lawn tennis matches were held in May of that year, and in 1953 the Lawn Tennis Association purchased the Club.
The complex of club buildings was designed by William Marshall and opened in 1888, comprising a central pavilion with large club room and changing facilities. North of the pavilion were Real Tennis courts and an Eton Fives court; to the south were two Rackets courts and offices; and to the west a covered way formed a link to two indoor Lawn Tennis courts, now courts 1 and 2, which opened on 13 April 1888. By 1900 there were 30 grass courts, a running track, indoor courts, cricket pitch, and an asphalt skating rink that was converted for ice skating in the winter. At the main entrance are three sets of gates, the central pair having red-brick gate piers with moulded stone caps with the Club's insignia, ball finials and flagpoles. The secondary entrance on Perham Road is more modest; inside the boundary here is a fine London plane tree. Much of the original late C19th club buildings remain, although new buildings and facilities have been added over the years.
In 2005/6 the Lawn Tennis Association began preparations to move its headquarters to a new National Tennis Centre in Roehampton and in 2007 The Queen's Club was sold to Club Members on a 120-year lease. The Club is internationally known for the Stella Artois Tennis Tournament, and now hosts the AEGON Championships.
The Queen’s Club Story 1886-1986; Roy McKelvie, 1986; LB Hammersmith & Fulham, Queen's Club Gardens Conservation Area Character Profile, 2005