|Queen's Club Gardens||Hammersmith & Fulham|
The 33 mansion blocks of Queen's Club Gardens were built in the late C19th as this area was being developed for housing. The estate was named after the nearby Queen's Club sports centre, which had opened in 1886. The mansion blocks, all named after literary and historical figures, surround private communal gardens and tennis courts, which were provided for residents. The gardens contain a number of mature trees, including one particularly fine London plane tree.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.queensclubgardens.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
The area was largely undeveloped prior to the 1860s, much of it farmland. The opening of North End Fulham railway station (later West Kensington station) in 1874 encouraged speculative house building. The Queen's Club was established as a sports ground in 1886 on a former market garden called the Queen's Field. Prior to this the three leading sporting clubs in London were Lord's, Prince's Club and the Hurlingham Club. It became The Queen’s Cricket Club and Ground under Gibbs and Flew Partners, the developers of the surrounding estate. The club provided facilities for lawn tennis from May 1887 and club buildings designed by William Marshall were completed by 1888.
Queen's Club Gardens were developed from 1892 by William H Gibbs, formerly of Gibbs and Flew, who were responsible for much of the housing in the area. The central red brick mansion flats were built on the site of a brickfield and named after the nearby sports club. They surround the communal garden and tennis courts. The estate consists of 33 mansion blocks in all, which are named alphabetically after famous literary or historical figures, from Matthew Arnold to Queen Zenobia, with the exception of 'X'. The garden is surrounded with specimen shrubs under London plane trees, with one notable mature plane tree on the lawn. It is dominated by two tennis courts. The garden boundary wall lost its railings during WWII, but through the efforts of residents new railings have been erected along the inside edge of shrub borders. In 1993 Queen's Club Gardens Ltd was founded to purchase the freehold and manage the estate, 90% of the lessees becoming members of the new company. The entrance has brick gate piers, and an iron gate.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p251; Queen's Club Gardens, information booklet produced by Queen’s Club Gardens Residents’ Association, 1994; LB Hammersmith & Fulham, Queen's Club Gardens Conservation Area Character Profile, 2005