|St Andrew's Church Gardens||Hammersmith & Fulham|
St Andrew's Church dates from 1874, as the area was changing from market gardens and orchards to housing. With increased housing development in ensuing decades the parish grew and the church was later enlarged in the 1890s. The churchyard garden has a mixture of trees and shrubs planted in a grassed area, and the church runs a Green Project.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.standrewsfulham.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The church here was predated by a corrugated iron mission chapel in 1862, erected when the area was still largely used for market gardening with a population of some 1000 people. This is recalled in the name the church once went by, 'St Andrew's in the Fields', and it is still sometimes referred to as St Andrew Fulham Fields. By the 1870s development of the area was well underway, and the new church of St Andrew was built in 1873 to serve the growing population, designed by architects Newman and Billing. One of the bells of St Andrew's had been that of St Martin Outwich (q.v.), which had been demolished following the Great Fire, and was donated to the new church at its consecration in 1874. The rate of development of the area continued apace, particularly as a result of the partnership set up in 1876 by Dorset builders William Gibbs and John Flew, whose ambition it was to create a new suburb here that they named 'West Kensington'. Although their company was liquidated in 1885 both Flew and Gibbs continued building, and Flew's Queen's Club Gardens (q.v.) of 1892 was built near St Andrew's. As a result the parish soon outgrew the church's seating capacity of 700 and the building was enlarged in 1895, the work undertaken by Aston Webb and E Ingress Bell.
The churchyard garden has grass, trees and shrubs, and is maintained by LB Hammersmith & Fulham.
The vicar in the 1870s was Revd Ernest Stafford Hilliard, under whose watch the Church Lads Brigade was founded, which in 1879 set up a football team that later went on to become Fulham Football Club. The team eventually acquired the Craven Cottage site north of Bishop's Park (q.v.) in 1896 and in 1898 the team went professional.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p231; Barbara Denny 'Fulham Past' (Historical Publications), 1997; LB Hammersmith & Fulham, 'Queen's Club Gardens Conservation Area Character Profile' 2005