|St Matthew's Churchyard||Hammersmith & Fulham|
St Matthew’s Church was, to quote the title of a 1978 exhibition, built on a swamp. The parish was created in 1872 after the church was built in 1870/1 to the designs of Sir Arthur Blomfield. It was later restored in 1956/7 and the small garden that surrounds the church on three sides probably dates from that time. It contains one large mature holly tree but many of the other trees are of recent planting, and include several conifers and sycamores, probably self-sown, as well as buddleia and perennial plants. Judging by photographs of 1905 there were once large trees, probably poplars, and it seems likely that these went when the church was restored. The garden is surrounded by a privet hedge, which sketches and pictures show increasing in height from about that time.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The parish of St Matthew West Kensington was created out of the parish of St James Maxwell Road. The church of 1879/1 was renovated in 1888, and the chancel was altered in 1897.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p204; D Power 'The Story of a London Parish: 1871-1983'.